Lucero records at Sam Phillips Recording Service. Photo by Jamie Harmon.
Welcome to “Sounds Around Town”, a semi-regular column about who is recording what and where in Memphis.
- Memphis’ own Lucero just wrapped up their 12th studio album at Sam Phillips Recording with producer Matt Ross-Spang.
- Speaking of, last week saw the release of Sean Rowe‘s New Lore on Anti-Records, also produced by Matt at Phillips.
- Atlanta’s DJ Luke Nasty was working at Royal Studio last week.
- Matt Stansberry & The Romance, a 9-piece band from Oklahoma, recently finished up their 5th LP in Ardent‘s Studio A.
- Bruce Watson of Fat Possum Records has launched his new Memphis studio, Delta Sonic (more on that in a later post). Nashville’s Legendary Shack Shakers frontman J.D. Wilkes is there this week, recording a full-length for Fat Possum’s Big Legal Mess imprint, co-produced by Watson and Jimbo Mathus.
- Scott Bomar just wrapped up mixing my next full-length album last week at Electraphonic. The record was produced by Will Sexton, my bandmate in Motel Mirrors. We’re also currently getting Motel Mirrors long-overdue full-length, In The Meantime, ready for mastering. Scott and I also just finished up the new James and The Ultrasounds LP for Mad Jack Records. It was my first time producing another artist.